? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click "S BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Friday, August 7, 2009

THE RAMADAN OF HAZRAT SHAH ABDUL QADIR RAIPURI

By Syaikhul Hadith Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Zakariya Kandahlawi Rahimahullah

Many anecdotes concerning Maulana Shah Abdul Qadir Raipuri have already been mentioned in ‘AAP BETI’. The lifespan of Hazrat Shaikhul Islam and Maulana Raipuri happen to largely coincide with mine, and the favours of these two saintly men upon this humble soul are such that words cannot tell. Even today those who had seen them and enjoyed their company are not counted in hundreds but in thousands.

At the time when their biographies were being written, many friends insisted that I also pen down my thoughts and appreciation of them, but it so happened that my being so involved in teaching activities precluded me from doing so even after hard thinking. And now, when I am freed from such obligations, when thoughts and incidents about them and their lives come to end, tears involuntarily stream from my eyes.

Hazrat Shaikhul Islam never verbally commended that I should spend Ramadan in his company, but from certain signs of his, I got the impression that that was what he would have liked. Hazrat Raipuri, on the other hand, did not only request but actually insisted. But, unfortunately, until the time of his demise, I was unable to do so, because of my teaching and research obligations. Perhaps I have already stated in ‘AAP BETI’ that towards the end of his life the favours of Hazrat Raipuri upon me were so many, that when his death came, I was completely shattered and devastated. It was an extremely hard loss to bear.

There were times when after a day or two in his company, I sought permission to return for fear of causing harm to my lecturing on Sahih Bukhari. Then Hazrat on various occasions used to say:

“You are now worried and cry over your Bukhari lectures. So go ahead and teach. But when you are free from it one day, where will I be?”

Towards Shawwal 1374 H Hazrat Raipuri became very ill and had to be treated by doctors continuously. Hence, to facilitate his treatment, he was brought to stay in the Kangron Wali Cot," in Bahut. At the time it became my fixed routine for quite a while that after having taught Abu Dawood Shareef in the second hour in the afternoon to go straight to the bus stop. If the bus was ready to leave, I used to arrive in time to perform Asr salaah. But if there was a delay, I performed Asr at the masjid near the terminus and then departed. As I did this for quite a time, the drivers were quite acquainted with my routine and usually waited for me for about three to four minutes. I got off at Bahut, performed Asr salaah at the Kangron Wali Masjid and proceed to visit Hazrat Raipuri.

Through Allah’s grace the hearts of the drivers became so soft that on arrival at Bahut they drove so fast straight to the house where Hazrat lay (a few kilometres away) allowed me to get off and then on return, went to the terminus to let off the other passengers. These drivers were Muslims, Hindus as well as Sikhs. At times the other passengers used to complain loudly:

“Stop! We want to get off at Bahut!”

But it seemed as if the drivers never heard them. On having let me get off they said to the people:

“What will it be if you should arrive one or two minutes late. This poor Maulana has to walk a distance of one and a half miles from Bahut. Be a bit patient. (We merely do him a favour).

After arriving there in Bahut, I spent the night in Hazrat’s presence very early the next morning, after drinking a cup of tea, I took the first lorry back to Saharanpur. I have told this long story (which in fact has nothing to do with Ramadan) but, now, on remembering, tears once again stream from my eyes.

We were talking about Ramadan. I happened to spend two half Ramadans in Hazrat’s company. The first time was in Ramadan 1378 H when Hazrat was residing in Bahut House Saharanpur. At that time after having recited my para after Zuhr time, I used to go to Bahut House and return only after having performed taraweeh with Hazrat. There are many anecdotes, which I can tell about this Ramadan, but one incident was quite significant and will remain in my memory.

I had a fixed place in a corner of Hazrat’s room. May Allah reward brother Altaf well for his having actually covered up one area like in the case of those in I’tikaaf for my sitting place. My bedding and pillow remained there at all times so that at all times I could open the door nearest to my bedding and quietly go and sit down. At Asr time I used to go and pay my respects to Hazrat Raipuri, but most of the time he was unaware of my presence. One day I entered while at that time Hazrat was being given some medicine to drink.

One or two of his attendants were present. At that time I perceived such a stream of light (noor) streaming down that even one so devoid of spiritual perception as myself became intensely aware of the spiritual light descending. It seemed as if the very sun was shining in the room. For quite a long time until Asr I remained pondering over the fact that in the iftar (eating) of some people there is more spiritual blessings than in the fasting of thousands of fasting ones. That spiritual experience is something which I had never before witnessed and never afterwards. When today that scene passes through my mind’s eye, I still feel the ecstacy thereof.

It was Hazrat’s desire that he should be informed of my presence, but I stopped the attendants from doing so in order that there should be no diversion of Hazrat’ s spiritual attentions. I also remember that the contact with brother Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi commenced from that year onwards. He tells the story of his initial contact with Hazrat Raipuri in considerable detail and extreme devotion.

I also remember many other incidents which are quite noteworthy, but if I should write them all down here, it will take up at least five or six pages, which, in any case, will not be relevant to the subject of the Ramadan of the Elders. However, my heart still longs for them to be written down and Insha-Allah if a chance presents itself in future, I shall surely take the opportunity.

During that year Hazrat demanded that Shah Mas’ood Saheb should lead the taraweeh salaah, which he did with great feeling and style. He completed the full khatam on the evening of 25th Ramadan, where after for the last four days, various other persons led taraweeh. Due to the fact that at Hazrat’s place taraweeh started at the ‘awwal’ time - quite early - while Qari Muzaffar led the prayers in the Madressa Masjid a bit later, I could still return from Bahut House to join Qari Saheb for about four Raka-'ahs of nafl salaah. At that time I was very much fond of tea after taraweeh. Bread was prepared at home and some things were sent from here and there.

Maulana Abul Hasan Ali also spent the major part of Ramadan at Bahut House and so did Sufi Abdul Hameed Saheb, the nephew of Maulana Rahim Bakhsh and some others. It was the fixed routine among Hazrat’s attendants that on completing taraweeh, they came to my place for tea. They returned only about two hours later.

The second Ramadan in Hazrat’s company was the last one of his life in 1381 H. for quite a few months prior to his death he had insisted quite emphatically that I should come to him and temporarily relieve myself of my teaching of Bukhari Shareef. But how could I?

Up to then it had become my fixed routine to leave for Raipur every week after Juma salaah, even without having eaten anything. (I have already mentioned in ‘AAP BETI’ that on going to visit Maulana Mohammad (Ilyaas in Nizamuddin and Maulana Raipuri in Raipur, I stopped eating one day before because of the way in which these two holy men of great hospitality fed me at their places. They were genuinely pleased at my presence).

I used to go after Juma, stay there for two days, perform Fajr with Hazrat at first dawn and return back to Saharanpur after a cup of tea. For the month of Ramadaan it had been fixed that I was to spend half of it in Saharanpur and the second half in Raipur. I was to leave for Raipur on the 15th Ramadan. But then news reached me that Maulana Yusuf' Saheb (of Nizamuddin) was coming to me on the 7th. While waiting for him, I was delayed (as he did not arrive as expected) and only arrived in Raipur on the 17th. That was the day he finally arrived and I got in his car with him to proceed to Raipur. We had iftar with Hazrat in his majlis. Maulana Yusuf returned the' next day and I remained with Hazrat at the Khanqah for the rest of the month. I only returned to Saharanpur after Eid salaah.

During the course of that month I also had to return to Saharanpur for two days. The sight of so many countryside people from the villages travelling towards their Eidgahs on oxen-drawn carts, horse-carts etc - all of them dressed in their finest clothes, with pleasure written all over their faces, is still very fresh in my mind. The Eid salaah in the villages is performed as soon as the sun is out while in the smaller towns it is performed quite later, even up to eleven O’clock. On the way back to Saharanpur we saw thousands of villagers sitting upon ‘tangas’, horse drawn-carts, carts drawn by oxen, donkeys and mules - loaded with old people, children and young men - splendidly dressed in their best clothes and laughing with pleasure as they proceeded towards their Eidgah for the Eid salaah. What a sight that was!

In that year Moulvi Fazlur Rahman, the son of Moulvi Abdul Mannan Saheb performed the taraweeh salaah in the Bagh Masjid (the mosque in the Orchard) while Moulvi Abdul Mannan Saheb Gujranwala, performed it in the room next to the room wherein Hazrat stayed. I also performed taraweeh behind him in the latter part of Ramadan after having completed my recitation of the full Quran at home.

During that year Hazrat’s privacy and seclusion after Zuhr was very strictly observed and adhered to. Only one special attendant was allowed to remain with him at all times to see to his possible needs; otherwise no one was allowed inside.

After performing fajr salaah at the earliest time, Hazrat shook hands with departing visitors and went to sleep. Doctors had insisted that he should refrain form fasting due to his ill health. Thus at about ten o’clock within the privacy of his own room he was fed something. By that time ill health for quite a few years had weakened his system considerably - so much so that he could hardly sit up without any support. On top of that there was a clamour from Pakistan for a visit from him to that country. People had come to hear of this impending visit with the result that the crowds visiting him were very great.

A short while after having been fed something, four of his attendants picked him up and brought him out of the room on his bed so that visitors could see him and enjoy the sight of his noble person like moths around a flame. Very often at such times I too had to struggle to keep visitors from coming too near his bed. Numerous were the ones who came with the intention of entering into bai-at.

Every time he was brought out people sat until up to deep into the ‘bagh' (orchard) and Hafiz Abdul Sattar initiated them into bai-’at with Hazrat. Initially Hazrat recited ‘Bismillah’ softly, but there was no long recitation of initiation. After the ‘Bismillah’ the Kalimah ‘Tayyiba' was recited, then taubah was made of all sins, the importance of salaah inculcated and the importance of following the Sunnat advised, whereupon the bai-’at was concluded.

After Asr until Maghrib Hazrat’s bed was again left outside. For quite a number of years in this majlis a certain book, mostly dealing with travels in India and Pakistan was read. During this Ramadan Khwaja Ma’soom Saheb’s MAKTOOB was being read by Azad Saheb. The original MAKTOOBAAT are written in Persian but has been translated into Urdu by Maulana Ahmad Fareed Amrohi and the translation is that one which had been printed in AI-Furqan.

As a result of the big gathering iftar was organized in various places in the mosque and the Madressa. The iftar of those who enjoyed a special relationship with Hazrat was performed near where Hazrat lay on his bed. Thereafter Maghrib salaah was performed in the thatched-roof building while the rest of the crowd performed it in the masjid. Supper for the guests was served about half an hour later at various places. At that time from about 1338 H onwards I was not in the habit of eating supper after iftar. Even at iftar too, I merely ate some dates with zam-zam. My habit was to eat after Esha.

Moulvi Ali Mia had seen the moon in Kuwait on Sunday evening before coming away from there. In Hejaz, Damascus etc the fast started on Sunday while in India and Pakistan it started on Tuesday.

In that year the grandson of my sister led taraweeh in the Masjid of Hakeem Ayyub Saheb. Maulana Yusuf arrived in Saharanpur on the 4th Shawwal after Maghrib. On the 5th Shawwal early in the morning on arrival in Raipur Ra-oofur Rahman said:

“A very important decision awaits consultation with you and is dependant upon your opinion and advice. Please do not refuse to provide needed advice.”

I replied: “Until such time that I do not know what the nature of the consultation is, I cannot make any promises.”

He said: “Do not worry. Hazrat will himself explain the issue. But, please do not refuse to be involved.”

I again replied: “I am afraid that I cannot give any promise until I know the nature of the issue.”

Then he said: “We have prevailed upon Hafiz Abdul Aziz to agree to stay here in Raipur permanently after Hazrat. Hazrat has agreed subject to your approval.”

I replied: “I will most certainly agree with that. In fact, that is my own expressed desire.”

Soon afterwards I was called into Hazrat’s presence. Three of us that is Hazrat, Ra-oofur Rahman and myself discussed the matter for quite a while.

(Some people refuse to accept that such a consultation did actually take place, but it is not for me at this time to disclose intimate details of the confidential consultations.)

Anyway, soon afterwards Hafiz Saheb was called into the meeting and I said to him: "Hafiz Saheb, it is Hazrat’s desire and my wish also that in future you should remain here permanently after Hazrat departs. But you are a man of numerous responsibilities and duties, which judging outwardly, seem very difficult for you to leave.”

Hafiz Saheb was quite moved by our wish. He replied: “After such an order from two personalities like yourselves, how can I ever refuse?”

I said to him" “Think it over carefully."

Thereafter, having taken an undertaking and promise from him, he and Ra-oofur Rahman left and I said to Hazrat:

“Shall I make the announcement of the appointment of Hafiz Saheb when we sit down to eat?”

Hazrat gave permission. Meanwhile the tablecloths were being spread out. After everyone had sat down to eat, I first of all called the Elders of Raipur together and said to them:

“I hereby bring to you the good news and congratulations that Hazrat Hafiz Saheb had agreed to remain here permanently. May Allah bless you all and may Allah also allow Hafiz Saheb to become fully blessed with the blessing of the Khanqah.”

Thereafter the meal commenced. The brothers from Delhi left Raipur to go to Ghana near Bahut, where a Tablighi ijtima was taking place. On Thursday morning a car came to fetch me early in the morning. I left Raipur at 8 o’clock to arrive at Ghana by nine o’clock in time to take part in the final dua by Maulana Yusuf Saheb and the farewell handshaking sending the jamaats on their way. At twelve o’clock Maulana Yusuf left Ghana for Saharanpur, where he remained for a short while before departing for Delhi at three o’clock.

Hazrat's journey to Pakistan had been fixed. Hence I made use of every opportunity to visit him prior to his departure. On the 11th of Shawwal I again visited him and on the evening of the 12th Maulana Yusuf came to Saharanpur and on discovering that I was not there, he too came to Raipur, arriving at 10 o’clock. By that time Hazrat’s journey had been postponed and we both left on the morning of the 15th.

Actually I was talking about the Ramadan of the Akabir, and look where I have diverted myself. On remembering one thing another comes into the mind.

Maulana Abul Hasan Ali writing the life story of Hazrat Raipuri writes about: RAMADAN IN RAIPUR:

“Ramadaan in Raipur is a very special occasion. From long before the time people prepare for it and await its arrival most eagerly. Employees make special timely arrangements with their employers to obtain leave in order to come to spend Ramadan in Raipur. Teachers from deeni madressas consider this a special opportunity not to be missed. A large crowd of Ulema, hafizes etc gather there.

Before the partition of India the number of people with spiritual ties and Ulema from madressas in West Punjab, was the greatest. The people of Raipur and the villages around it take great pains and with tremendous generosity organise the iftar for all these people as well as those guests resident in the Kanqah - even their supper and sehri meals are provided by these people.

And Shaikh, In accordance with the example and practice of his Shaikh, all majlises are suspended, no time is set aside for conversation and small talk, even mail and the answering thereof is suspended. For practically the whole of twenty-four hours Hazrat remains secluded in the company of his own self, except for salaah times. When anyone arrived with whom some time has of necessity to be spent, it become an ordeal for him.

Before his illness he used to perform iftar with the guests in public, breaking the fast with dates and zam-zam. Food was taken immediately after Maghrib in those days with tea afterwards. This time up to Esha used to be a time for majlis, but not now in Ramadan.

After azaan preparations were made for Esha and while the preparations are on, the Ulema in the first saff are busy discussing some weighty questions with Hazrat replying. After Esha he either sat there or lay down for about half an hour while attendants pressed his legs for his comfort. Taraweeh took place in the Khanqah as well as in the Masjid. In both places the full Quran was recited. Generally there were many hafizes but Hazrat always preferred to appoint good hafizes with a fine manner of recitation as well as good voices.

One year 1372 H (1’) 53) Hazrat, spent Ramadan in Mansoori together with fifty or sixty attendants and followers. Maulana Abdul Mannan Sahib led the taraweeh prayer. At that time the time after taraweeh used to be a time when Hazrat used to sit with his attendants in majlis and was a time when normally he was in a very pleasant mood. Many of his followers stayed awake throughout the night in ibadat and tilawat.

All in all, during the month of Ramadan all the special features of intense devotion and spiritual exertion can be observed at all time by day or by night. Even the weak ones and those without courage could say:

“Whoever is deprived of the produce of the liquor-shop is not deprived at all.”

A certain person, who had been fortunate enough to have spent the last ten days of Ramadan in Hazrat’s company, but as a result of his weak health and lack of determination and courage, could not exert, himself fully in ibadat, wrote a letter to his friend, saying:

“While seekers lay at the door of shop,

Looting it of precious gifts

Nicely did the Ramadan of those

Whose cup is filled with ill fortune,

Pass before their eyes.”

SAWANIH QADRI

That year Maulana Ali Mia also left Lucknow on Saturday the 16th Ramadan to join the group at Mansoori to return home only after Eid. At another place in the same book he describes the last Ramadan of Hazrat Raipuri:

THE LAST RAMADAN AND THE JOURNEY TO PAKISTAN

“The Ramadan of 1381 A.H (1962) coincided with February 1962 in Raipur. Before that and on the firm insistence of Hazrat Raipuri it was the general routine of Shaikhul-Hadith Maulana Zakarya to proceed to Raipur immediately after Jumu’ah to return to Saharanpur on Sunday. Because it was difficult to travel like that every week in Ramadan, it was decided that he spend half of Ramadan in Saharanpur and the other half in Raipur.

The taraweeh salaah was led by Moulana Fazlur Rahman Dehlawi the son of Moulana Abdul Mannan. Maulana Abdul Azia Khatolwi had arrived prior to the onset of Ramadan. Perhaps at that time someone must have felt that this was Hazrat’s last Ramadan on earth and that the time for his demise was near at hand.

From after Asr till shortly before Maghrib a kitab was being read. It was the MAKTOOBAAT of Khwaja Ma’soom (printed Al-Furqan). The crowd of people present was exceptionally big and was increasing all the time. Hazrat performed Eid salaah behind Azad Saheb. When after the salaah Hazrat was put in a ‘kursi’ and carried to the grave of his Shaikh, it was a tremendous emotional moment. The time spoke for itself as if to say:

“You were our predecessors. We are the one to follow. We shall surely, if Allah pleases, be joined with you.”

Hazrat always had this worry and desire that after him the Madressa and the Khanqah should remain in operation. Various suggestions had at various times been put forward to see that happen. However, no specific solution had up to then been decided upon, which gave full confidence that the objective in mind would certainly be accomplished.

In this regard, prior to Ramadan, Maulana Hafiz Abdul Aziz had been summoned from Pakistan to Raipur and he was staying in the upper storey. He was, according to his own high standards and practice, busy with his spiritual efforts. For the sake of keeping the Khanqah in full operation, a suitable person had to be chosen and appointed. Maulana Abdul Aziz is the grandson of Maulana Shah Abdul Raheem Raipuri (RA) and is a product of this Khanqah with its spiritual splendour and enlightenment. He is an Alim, a scholar, a man of righteousness, a meticulous follower of the Shariat, a man of profuse zikr and great spiritual efforts. He is a mureed of Hazrat with ‘ijazat’ for bai-’at from him - a man who had received his spiritual training under the sympathetic guidance of Hazrat himself.

Hafiz Saheb was born in 1905 and memorised the Quran in Hazrat Abdul Raheem’s lifetime and led taraweeh prayers there. He completed his studies at Mazahirul-Uloom after studying there from beginning to end. He was a member of the Daura-e-Hadeeth class of 1343 H. During the dangerous times of 1947 in the Punjab, he was an extremely brave and courageous fighter and a real pillar of strength for the Muslims. Then, when that area became ravished, he moved to Pakistan with his whole family.

He finally settled in Sargodha (Pakistan). He is a man who is quite well known to the people of Raipur and the surrounding areas and they love him dearly. Because of his close link and relationship with the Raipuri spirit and system, as well as own undoubted ability, he is quite capable of keeping the Raipuri fountain of spiritual guidance strong and flowing.

Hazrat chose him to be resident spiritual guide of Raipur. Thus after Ramadan, in the first week of Shawwal 1381 H on the instruction of Hazrat Raipuri, Hazrat Shaikhul-Hadith (who was in Raipur at the time) made the announcement to all the inmates and residents of the Khanqah that Hazrat had chosen Hafiz Abdul Aziz Saheb to remain in Raipur and that Hafiz Saheb had accepted the appointment:

He said: “May AIlah grant His blessings: We had been very much worried that this programme of spiritual progress and development, which had been carrying on here, may one day die out. We thank Allah. We thank Allah. We hope and pray that this place will remain filled and remain in operation for all time and that this programme will continue...”

SAWANIH QADRI

Maulana Ali Mia writes further: “Hazrat’s period of staying in Pakistan included the month of Ramadan. For some time the sincere mureeds and faithful well wishers had expressed the desire that he should spend a Ramadan with them. They tried to get him there so that the splendour and blessings of Ramadan for them could be further increased. Ramadan came along during the hot months of summer. During the year 1371 He spent the holy month in Murree in the home of Sufi Abdul Hammed on the invitation of Janab Mohammad Shafee Quraishy and Malik Mohammad Din. There were more than a hundred guests and attendants, but in spite of that and the great cost involved in looking after so large a crowd, these two generous persons were perfect hosts. They really did look after the needs of all and bore the expenses with great generosity.

In 1374 Ramadan was again spent in ‘Ghora Gulley’, Murree. In 1375 H it was spent in Lyalpur, where the guests and attendants numbered more than two hundred. In 1376 H it was in Lahore where the late Chaudrey Abdul Hameed bore a considerable part of the responsibility of hosting Hazrat and his entourage. During 1378 it was in Lyalpur again, where after Hazrat did not spend another Ramadan in Pakistan. The last two Ramadans of his life were spent in Raipur in 1380 and 1381 H.

SAWANIH QADRI

It had already been said that Ramadan of 1372 A.H was spent in Mansoori. In the above quotation form Maulana Ali Mia he left out the year 1377 H. This Ramadan was also spent in Lahore in the home of Chaudrey Abdul Hameed. Maulana Ali Mia also wrote that Ramadan 1378 H was spent in Lyalpur. This was quoted from my diary. But in actual fact it was a mistake made by the one who copied it or who copied it from him. This Ramadan was actually spent in Saharanpur in Bahut House and the Ramadan of 1379 was also spent in Lyalpur.

0 comments: